Following on from the Doberman naming guide, I’ve compiled a list of some of my favourite and not so favourite Doberman names.
Remember selecting a good name is one of the first challenges of puppy ownership and the name you chose will say as much about you as it does your dog. Inevitably both you and your Dobie will be judged by your dog’s name alone, so choose wisely and choose a name that conveys a positive image.
Here are a few things to consider:
- You will call your Doberman’s name over 35000 times
- You need to call your dog’s name out loudly in public
- Your dog’s name will be used for both praise and discipline
- A good name is short and easy to say (two syllables is good)
Female Doberman Names
- Kitty — my favourite for a girl Dobie
- Coco — a very close second especially if she is red
- Sadie — very popular according to various Doberman forums.
- Tasha — Russian and popular
Male Doberman Names
- Enzo — my favourite. My dog’s name. Italian and named for Enzo Ferrari.
- Dave — funny. No hilarious. Standing in the middle of a park calling a Doberman named Dave.
Famous Doberman Names
Borong the warlock. One of the most remarkable dogs in the history of the breed. Gave his name to the ‘warlock’ myth.
- Zeus & Apollo or “the lads” owned by Higgins of Magnum P.I.
- Cerberus the zombie Doberman from Resident Evil
- Cinnamon from the famous Doberman and fireman photo
- Alpha from the movie UP
- Diablo (voice of Edward James Olmos) in ‘Beverly Hills Chihuahua’
- Bingo von Ellendonk — the first Doberman to achieve a perfect score (300 points) in Schutzhund
- The Doberman Gang — six Dobermans trained to rob banks. All named after famous depression era bank robbers: Dillinger, Bonnie, Clyde, Pretty Boy Floyd, Baby Face Nelson, and Ma Barker. Check out The Doberman Gang.
- Tripoli from the movie Eyes of an Angel with John Travolta
Goofy Doberman Dog Names
- Dave — as above
- Rodger — Rodger the Doberman
- Muppet — you have to own one to know
Greek, God or Goddess Names
Done to death either from Magnum P.I. or just too common. Although regal sounding if you have any imagination you can do better.
- Zoe (Greek for Eve or life)
Bad Doberman Pinscher Names
Attack. Naming a Doberman ‘Attack’ is a seriously bad idea. Your dog is chasing a child with an ice cream and you’re calling ‘Attack’. Perception is reality. It can only end in misery. Here are some other Doberman pinscher names to avoid.
Still looking for inspiration? Well done. Choosing a good name isn’t and shouldn’t be easy. Check out my guide and list of 50 good Doberman names.