What is a dog crate?
A dog crate is a size appropriate rectangular cage made from sturdy material (steel, heavy duty wire, moulded plastic) used to confine a dog. If used correctly, from the dog’s perspective it is their den, somewhere that is theirs and theirs alone, a safe place, somewhere comfortable, dry, warm and safe. Home.
What is crate training?
Crate training is the process of teaching your dog that the big box is his own special place. Crate training is the process of teaching your Dobie to enter the crate, enjoy spending time in there and that the crate is his own special place.
Why crate train your dog?
Naturally dogs live in Dens. They instinctively seek out a den which is why they curl up in a corner or under the table. Crating a dog take advantage of their den instinct and helps them feel comfortable and safe in a human environment.
What are the advantages of crate training?
- Your Doberman will be happier with a den of his own.
- Crates keep your puppy safe from the thing that could harm him.
- If you have to confine your dog for health reasons it is much easier if he is crate trained.
- It is much easier to house train a crated dog. Unless you bought your dog from a puppy mill it shouldn’t mess its crate. Note you shouldn’t crate train a puppy mill puppy.
- If travelling with your Doberman, his crate is somewhere familiar in an unfamiliar house or hotel room. A home away from home.
Can I confine my dog in a crate if he is naughty?
No. His crate should never be used as punishment. Crate training should always be associated with positive fun things. You don’t want your dog associating his crate with bad things.
Won’t my dog eliminate in his crate and make a bigger mess?
A healthy dog won’t eliminate in his den. Crate training is an excellent way to house train your dog. The exception is a puppy mill puppy which will eliminate in their den. Puppy mill puppies don’t have any choice but to mess their cage at the mill so can’t easily be trained.
Will I need a crate forever?
No. you only need to crate train until the dog is an adult. Depending on the breed one to three years. Once you dog is house trained and not have any chewing issues. However keeping your crate is a good idea. If travelling to somebodies house or on holiday a crate is a great way to keep your dog happy and safe.